Cape May County Truck Accident Lawyers
As Seen In:
GET A FREE CONSULTATION
FIGHTING FOR CAPE MAY COUNTY TRUCK ACCIDENT VICTIMS
Truck accidents are a sobering reality on our roads. The sheer size and weight of large semi-trucks can lead to catastrophic accidents, causing immense harm and loss. In fact, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 4,714 people died in large truck crashes across the US in 2021, a 17 percent increase compared with 2020. While sixteen percent of these deaths were truck occupants, 68 percent were occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles, and 15 percent were pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a trucking accident in Cape May County, you must understand that you have legal rights. Both truck drivers and the trucking companies they work for can and should be held accountable when their negligence jeopardizes the safety of others on the road. Thankfully, the dedicated legal team at Richard Hollawell is here to represent your interests and ensure you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
Contact our Atlantic County lawyers today at 1-800-681-3550 or using the form below for a free consultation.
Trucking Is on the Rise in Cape May County New Jersey
New Jersey is already a hub for freight shipments, and the industry is only expected to grow in the coming years. According to a report by the National Transportation Research Nonprofit (TRIP), the value of freight moved by trucks in New Jersey is projected to increase by a staggering 93% by 2045. This forecast indicates a substantial rise in the number of trucks navigating New Jersey’s already congested highways.
In a report from the Tri-State Transportation Campaign, Cape May County was identified as one of the regions set to experience an increase in large truck traffic during this decade and the next. In fact, the report placed it among the top three counties in New Jersey with the highest expected growth in truck traffic, trailing only Sussex and Passaic Counties. With this growth, the risk of truck accidents becomes even more significant.
What Causes Trucking Accidents in Cape May County?
Truck accidents can result from a multitude of factors, often unique to the challenges faced by drivers of large semi-trucks. While driver errors, including distracted driving, are a significant contributing factor, several other causes are specific to the trucking industry.
Some of the most common causes of trucking accidents in Cape May County include:
- Driver Fatigue: A Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration study identified driver fatigue as a major risk factor for commercial motor vehicle crashes. Long hours and tight schedules can lead to exhausted truck drivers who may make critical mistakes on the road.
- Pressure to Meet Schedules: Many truckers are expected to work demanding schedules, sometimes exceeding 70 hours a week or working without adequate rest. These pressures can lead to impaired judgment and reduced reaction times.
- Inadequate Driver Training: Trucking companies are responsible for hiring drivers who meet all necessary certifications and training requirements. If the driver involved in your accident lacked proper certification or training, the company may be liable for damages.
- Mechanical Breakdowns: The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s Fatal Causation Study found that in 55% of truck accidents, the truck had experienced at least one mechanical failure. These failures can result from poor maintenance practices or defective parts.
CAPE MAY COUNTY TRUCK ACCIDENT FAQS
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions that our truck accident attorneys receive regarding New Jersey truck accidents:
What should I do immediately after a truck accident in Cape May County?
After a truck accident, prioritize your safety and the safety of others involved. Call 911 to report the accident and seek medical attention if necessary. If possible, gather evidence at the scene, such as photographs, witness contact information, and the truck driver’s information. It’s crucial to consult with an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights.
How long do I have to file a truck accident lawsuit in Cape May County?
In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including truck accidents, is generally two years from the date of the accident. However, it’s advisable to consult with an attorney promptly, as certain circumstances may affect this timeline.
Can I sue the trucking company for my injuries in Cape May County?
Yes, you can potentially sue the trucking company if their negligence, whether hiring an unqualified driver or failing to maintain their vehicles, contributed to the accident. An experienced attorney can help you determine liability and pursue a claim against the responsible parties.
How can a truck accident attorney help me in Cape May County?
A skilled NJ truck accident attorney can provide invaluable assistance by conducting a thorough investigation, gathering evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and representing your interests in court if necessary. They can help you seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
What compensation can I recover after a truck accident in Cape May County?
The compensation you may be eligible to receive can vary depending on the circumstances of your case. It can include medical expenses, lost income, property damage, pain and suffering, and, in some cases, punitive damages meant to punish the negligent party. An attorney can assess your case and help you pursue the appropriate damages.
What if the truck driver was influenced by alcohol or drugs during the accident?
If it is determined that the truck driver was operating the vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident, it can significantly impact your case. Driving while impaired is a serious violation of the law and a clear act of negligence. You may have a stronger claim for compensation in such cases, as it demonstrates a blatant disregard for safety.
What steps can I take to protect my rights after a truck accident in Cape May County?
After a truck accident, protecting your rights is crucial.
Here are some steps to consider:
- Seek immediate medical attention, even if your injuries seem minor.
- Report the accident to the police and obtain a copy of the accident report.
- Gather evidence, including photographs of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and your injuries.
- Obtain contact information from any witnesses.
- Refrain from providing statements to insurance companies or signing documents without consulting an attorney.
- Consult an experienced truck accident attorney to understand your legal options and rights.
Recent Trucking Accidents in Cape May County
In June of 2020, a truck driver crashed his big rig into a private residence near the intersection of Route 147 and Massachusetts Avenue in the Burleigh section of Middle Township. The truck’s hydraulic lift hit an overpass, causing the vehicle to veer off the road, crashing into a house before coming to a stop. Miraculously, the inhabitant of the home was not injured. The driver was unfortunately killed by the impact.
How To File a Trucking Accident Claim in Cape May County
The numbers of large trucks involved in fatal crashes has been increasing in recent years, and as more of these vehicles take to the road, more accidents will inevitably occur. If you or your loved one were injured in a trucking accident in Cape May County, do not hesitate to reach out to our skilled legal team for assistance.
Richard Hollawell is a seasoned car and truck accident lawyer, and has helped his clients win six-figure settlements from negligent drivers. Trucking accidents are often devastating, and can result in life-long disabilities and even death. Richard Hollawell will help you negotiate a fair settlement that makes sure you receive the compensation you need to cover the enormous costs incurred after a trucking accident in Cape May county. Contact our team today at 1-800-681-3550 or by using our online form.
WHY CHOOSE THE TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS FROM RICHARD J. HOLLAWELL & ASSOCIATES
At Richard J. Hollawell and Associates, our experienced attorneys understand the complexities of truck accident cases. We have a proven track record of helping truck accident victims secure the justice and compensation they deserve.
Here’s why you should choose Richard J. Hollawell and Associates:
- Expertise: We specialize in truck accident cases, allowing us to provide you with the highest level of legal knowledge and guidance.
- Compassion: We genuinely care about our clients and understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll a truck accident can take on your life.
- Results: We have a strong history of obtaining substantial settlements and verdicts for our clients, ensuring they can rebuild their lives after a devastating accident.
- Resources: We have the resources and network to investigate your case thoroughly and build a robust argument in your favor.
TAKE ACTION TODAY – CONTACT OUR CAPE MAY COUNTY TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYERS
If you or a loved one has suffered due to a trucking accident in Cape May County, it’s essential to seek legal representation promptly. The dedicated team at Richard Hollawell and Associates is ready to fight for your rights and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today at 1-800-681-3550 or use our contact form to request a free consultation.
Don’t wait; let us advocate for you during this challenging time.