When Should You Consider Hiring a Lawyer?
As Seen In:
GET A FREE CONSULTATION
If you or a family member were seriously injured due to someone else’s negligence, you may be considering hiring a lawyer to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the party that harmed you. The decision to hire a lawyer is not always an easy one, as many individuals worry about drawn-out court cases or fees they may have to pay.
Not every accident is due to negligence, and not every case needs a lawyer to resolve. But there are many benefits to having an experienced attorney on your side, and in this post, we will explore some of the many reasons you may want to consider hiring a lawyer for your personal injury case.
Talking to a Lawyer Can Help You Understand if Your Case is Winnable
It is rare to find a lawyer that will take a case they believe they cannot win. Cases are far too expensive, and much too time-consuming, for an experienced lawyer to take on unless there is a good chance of winning. When a lawyer takes a case on contingency, they have to weigh multiple factors to decide if taking on the expenses of the case is worth it. They may decide to take on the case if:
- It’s clear cut: Even if injuries and compensation are minor, a lawyer may take on a case as long as it’s clear who the liable party is and the evidence overwhelmingly favors the victim. These cases require minimal effort for minimal reward and can be a slam-dunk win for both client and attorney.
- Damages are high: If there is minimal evidence and the case seems very difficult to prove, an experienced lawyer may not take on the case – that is, unless, the damages that could be won are astronomically high. In these cases, a lawyer may take a gamble and try to win the case. In cases with high payouts, the injuries and suffering that the victim endures are often catastrophic, and bringing a lawsuit may be their only chance at getting their life back on track.
Talking with an experienced lawyer can help you understand if your case is winnable or not. So even if you are not sure that hiring an attorney is right for you, making that initial phone call is always a helpful first step in determining the best way to proceed. Your first consultation with the attorneys at Richard Hollawell will always be free, and we will likely be able to give you a good idea of whether or not you have a case worth pursuing.
A Good Lawyer Can Connect You to Experts
In cases where fault or negligence is difficult to prove, the testimony of experts may be needed. An experienced lawyer can put you in touch with the experts you need to prove your case, including:
- Accident reconstruction experts
- Economic experts
- Medical experts
- Vocational rehabilitation specialists
- Mental health care experts
- Highway safety engineers
- Manufacturing experts
- Lifecare planners
Familiarity with Local and State Laws
Every state creates and enforces its own laws, in addition to federal laws of the United States. You will want to speak with a lawyer who is licensed to practice in the state where your accident occurred, as they will have in-depth knowledge of specific state and local ordinances that may pertain to your particular case. For example, if you have a car accident while traveling through New Jersey, you want to make sure you get in touch with a New Jersey car accident lawyer, instead of one from your home state.
Is Getting a Lawyer Worth it?
Not every case that a lawyer takes on ends up at trial. In fact, the Bureau of Justice has found that only 3 percent of personal injury cases go to trial, so the chances of going before a jury are very low. The odds of settling your case with a satisfactory payment are much higher when you have an experienced lawyer on your side, and lets insurance companies and negligent parties know you are serious about receiving the compensation you deserve.
The best way to find out if your case is one that would benefit from our legal services is to take advantage of a free consultation. The lawyers at Richard Hollawell & Associates will walk you through the pros and cons of bringing a lawsuit and help you decide if hiring a lawyer is the right step for you. Contact us today at 1-800-681-3550 or fill out our contact form here.